Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Finding Your Style : Get It Organized

OOTD:


Burgundy slacks, purple top, wedges, belt, plum purse.  Yes, this is the same top and color combo as last week but with different bottoms and accessories.  What can I say?  I love it!

This is Part 2 of a 3 part series on finding your style.



How many times have we gone to our closets full of things we love, but we still have "nothing to wear"?  In my experience this is because the items can't be used together.  So it's super important that we have wardrobes filled with items that can be mixed and matched.  You don't have to stick to one style if you don't want to, just remember that the more styles you have the more closet space you need.

I truly believe that the first step to finding your style is starting with a purged, organized, cohesive wardrobe.  But that can be so overwhelming, so to break it down we're going to do a 3 part series.  The first was last week, and the last will be next week.

This week it's all about organizing your closet so you can find exactly what you want when you want it.  If you don't know what you have, you won't know what you need.

Still sounds overwhelming, right?  So let's break it down even farther.  This week, we get it organized!



Step 1: Put like items together.  Dresses, skirts, pants, shorts, camis, tanks, short sleeve, long sleeve, and completer pieces (like blazers and cardigans).  Got something that's in between (like a sweater can can be used as a long sleeve top OR a completer piece)?  Put it in the section that it will most likely get used as.  DON'T labor over the decision.  Just pick a spot and keep moving.  You can always change your mind later.

I put less used items toward the "back," and more used items in the middle.  So my closet goes dresses, maxi dresses and skirts, completer pieces, camis, tanks, short sleeve, long sleeve, skirts, pants and leggings, then shorts (pants and shorts get swapped in the summer time).


Step 2: Organize like items by color.  You might want to follow the color wheel for this one.  Pinks and reds, orange, yellow, green, blue, and purple.  Then organize items light to dark within a color.

Because I don't have any yellows or oranges, I start at green on the color wheel and work my way around.  So my colors go like this: white, grey, black, brown, green, blue, purple, red.


Step 3: If and when you can, purchase matching hangers.  They help keep the closet looking cohesive.  I use the velvety ones because (1) they're supposed to save space (but I'm not sure that's true) and (2) NOTHING slips off of them.  I can throw my camis on them and they don't slide.  I can throw my cardigans on them (unbuttoned!) and they don't fall down.  Easy-peasy.

These grey damask hangers reside in my closet.  Aren't they beautiful?


Hope this week's segment didn't take as long as last time!  Next week we'll be discussing my tips for finding your style.  SO EXCITED to share what has been a HUGE help to me in defining my style.

Til next time loves!

<3, Mandy










No comments:

Post a Comment